Saturday, October 1, 2016

The Journal

This week I finally started the journal for my class, the big reason I started this.  Because of some issues with the class, this wasn't started until this week, but it's on now!!  Over the next few weeks I will be journalling how I'm feeling and what happens as far as the giving up soda and junk food and at the end I will be writing a paper, which will be a significant part of my grade.  For me, I plan on continuing this for some time after the assignment is over because of what I am accomplishing.

This journal, and the paper, is about abstinence from an addictive behavior for a substance abuse class I am taking this semester.  What better way to learn about helping someone kick a bad habit then by kicking a bad habit yourself.  A majority of the class is counseling or social work majors, but a few, like myself, are pursuing criminal justice degrees, so there is a wide range of people in the class.  While many are giving up smoking or alcohol, I decided to give up the one behavior that has truly hampered all of my fitness goals over the years......... the crappy food I put in to my body and the poor choices I make.

Instead of writing more of the same, I decided to share with all of you my journal for the week so far. While I put everything I eat into MyFitnessPal, which all of you can see, I also journaled the crap I ate this week and how I felt after word.  Take a look, and please, let me know what you think and ask any and all questions you may have, I am not doing this just for my self, but to help others and show that anyone can do this!!

9/26/16
For this assignment I have decided to give up soda and junk food, for not only the 10 weeks, but try to kick it completely.  I have tried numerous times over the years to really dial in my diet, and this is the perfect opportunity.  I actually started this 3 weeks ago, when we were supposed to start the project and have been keeping up with it since.  I feel cutting out the junk food is going to be harder than the soda, but we will see what happens.
  9/27/16
I got up and started the day feeling great and ready to continue fighting the urges to eat crap and drink soda.  Everything was going great until our new employee at work decided to bring in 3 dozen donuts and threw them out on a desk I walk past multiple times a day!!  Yes, I broke down, but instead of eating one of the ones I love, I hit the small, blueberry cake donut and damn did it taste good!  I did the right thing and tracked it in my meal tracker so I could see what it did to my numbers for the day.  I guess I will be running a little extra tonight.
 9/28/16
Today was a very long day.  Work and then school and then ski patrol training made me start craving a soda to get through the day.  I wanted one early, knowing how long the day was going to be, but not having any in the house definitely helped, same with the fact I was rushing around all day long I didn’t have time to stop and get one.
 9/29/16
Today was a great day right up until we finished our walk/run at the marina.  The run itself was great, Hunter ran with me for a good part of it and I am proud of the fact that because Nancy and I are eating healthier and exercising more, he is too.  The down side is I decided to take everyone to the new ice cream sandwich place.  Damn it was good, but I feel terrible now.  It’s tracked and I can see the numbers.
 9/30/16
It’s Friday!!  Not only did I make it through the day without a soda and without eating crap, I was able to go grocery shopping, buy only what was needed (no soda or crap for us or the kids) and spend $50 to feed the family for a week.  It’s amazing how much cheaper our trips to the store are when there’s no soda or crap in the cart.  Yes, we are spending more overall because of the shakes I am drinking twice a day, but overall I’m thinking we still aren’t spending as much now as we were before.
 

Have a great day and wish me luck, time for a little 9K fundraising run!!

No comments:

Post a Comment