Monday, October 17, 2016

Some surprises along the way

When I started this little adventure just over four weeks ago, there were certain things I knew would happen.  I knew I would lose weight and I knew I would feel better are the two big ones.  But the big surprise is how much better I feel and how much weight i have lost.  But even more surprising is how much my family has come along on this journey with me.  Not only have I cut out soda and junk food, so has my wife.  No, she isn't doing the full on 28 Day Challenge, but she is using the same snacks I am and she is exercising more and cutting back on her coffee and soda.  But even more so, my oldest son is getting in on it as well.  Both boys ask to go on walks, my oldest even ran his first 5K with me yesterday as I pushed my youngest in the stroller.  It's unbelievable how proud I am of my son, not only did he run his first 5K, he ran it faster then I ran my first, and unfortunately for him he's built like me.  It also feels good knowing last Friday I broke down and had my first soda, which I hated myself for doing but it tasted so good, but when I stepped on the scale this morning I was down almost 3 pounds from Thursday.

I think the biggest thing I have learned is how infectious this can be for a family.  And also how much it requires the whole family to work together to get this done.  Yes, my wife does about 80 percent of the cooking and meal prep, but I do the shopping and some of the cooking.  I know I wouldn't be where I am right now without the support of my family.  I also know having the coaches from the gym, where I haven't been in way to long, like my posts on both social media and on MyFitnessPal means a lot.  When you can impress them you know you are doing something right.

The biggest thing to impress on all of you is if you really want this and are really willing to work at it, there is nothing holding you back.  Find something that works for you and your family, get yourself a good support system and get after it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment