Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Setting goals and avoiding temptations

When I started this, it was because of the class project but knowing me, I needed more of a reason to get it done and give it my all.  In looking at it I had to think, what are my goals?  I have set a lot of goals for myself since 2011, a majority of which I have reached and the rest I've come close to.  One of my first goals was to run a 5K, and I've lost count of how many I've done now.  I've gone on to set goals of running a sub 36 minute 5K and I'm currently at 38 minutes for a PR.  I've run a 10K, two half marathons and a marathon.  I've deadlifted 490lbs, I've squated 350lbs.......the only goal I've never set for myself is when it comes to my weight and this time around I need to set one and chase after it.

My plan is to follow the 28 Day Challenge for a total of 12 weeks and be brutally honest with what I take in the hope of  losing an average of 3 pounds per week.  Could I do more, sure, but trying to do more may hurt me in the long run.  When I started this last week I weighed in at 281 pounds, today, after one week I'm at 275 pounds.  There will be a lot of weeks I may only lose 1 or 2 pounds.  Thanksgiving will fall during this 12 weeks and there is no way I'm going to walk away from my wife's homemade turkey dinner and that's where the self control and avoiding temptations comes in.  I've already fought some pretty bad temptations and this is only week one.  I've also been brutally honest when it comes to my intake.......Saturday I went to the UNR football game and got to go the sponsors tailgate with all you could eat BBQ and all you could drink beer.  I did partake and I logged it all the best I could.  Sunday I did a little 5 mile run and had a donut after, which was tracked as well.  So I can see where I failed.  Those are going to be special occasions and won't be a weekly thing, they will be rewards and they will not be in response to stress.

Yesterday I had one of the most stressful days I've had in along time and I was able to fight my cravings.  Yesterday my son had his 3 month post cancer treatment scans and the hospital has the best breakfast burritos ever and I wanted one.  I was also craving a soda.  After his scans, he wanted McDonalds for lunch and how can you tell a kid fighting cancer who hasn't eaten in 16 hours no?  But I didn't do it, I didn't give in to my temptations!!  I wanted it but I didn't give in because stress eating is a killer........stress is a killer when it comes to losing weight and that's where I have always failed and that's where I'm not going to fail this time.

As always, you can follow my food and exercise on My Fitness Pal and photos on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment